School Program Outline
Orientation: "Where did Dinosaurs Live?"
- What is a fossil? Geology and Biology
- What branch of science studies ancient life? Geology and Biology
- What is a dinosaur? Geology and Biology
- Did dinosaurs live in Colorado? Geology and Biology
- Did dinosaurs all live at the same time? Geology
- Bonus: Has the climate and geography changed in Morrison through time? How do we know?
- What historical significance does Morrison have in paleontology? History
- Name two animal species that lived in Morrison during the Late Jurassic? Biology
- What was Morrison climate and geography like during the Late Jurassic? Geology and Geography
- How was Jurassic Morrison similar and different to Morrison today? Geology, Geography, Biology
- What type of rock are the Stegosaurus tracks preserved in? Geology
- What does the rock that the Stegosaurus tracks are preserved on tell us about how the sand was deposited? Geology
- How did the climate and geography change in Morrison during the Late Cretaceous? Geology and Geography
- What kinds of plants and animals lived here during the Late Cretaceous? Biology
- Compare and contrast the geography of Morrison during Cretaceous and Jurassic. How are they similar and different? Geography and Geology
- Activity: hands-on encounter the giant fossil skulls.
Ice Age Survivors
- What was Morrison climate and geography like during the Pleistocene? Geology and Geography
- What kinds of plants and animals lived here during the Pleistocene? Biology
- How does this habitat compare to other periods of Morrison history? Geology and Geography
- Activity: meet an Ice Age Survivor - (pet a live snake)
Behind the Scenes: Paleontology Lab
- See where museum staff prepare fossils for study and display. Clean a fossil with a little help from our staff.
- Optional, self-guided activity:
- "Fossil Pit" fossil dig activity for young children.